NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Friday, February 12, 2016

How Do I Love Thee


Let’s play, How Do Your Character Feel About Each Other. 
Our heroes and heroines love one another. As romance authors, no matter the sub-genre, we build the love between our characters. Sometimes slowly, other times quite rapidly. I’ve learned asking my H&H to describe how they feel about their relationship makes writing their romance much easier.
In my WIP I have a couple I wanted to build another book around. Each time I posed the question to them, I got blank looks. Not a single romantic word. They are very suited for and truly care for each, but as friends.  I put them with other minor/secondary, and a bit unlikely characters, and things happened. Boy did things happen.
So, let’s go. Tell me your character’s feeling about each other in as few words as possible. Please no, they complete me, answers. You decide which one or both or your characters you want to share. I’ll start with my heroes only.
“I thought I protected her. I realized it was the other way around. Every day she wrapped me in her love and let me do what I was meant to do.” Nick Mahoney
“She is my heart. Everything about her is etched there.” Hunter
“Describe how I feel about her? Describe the air you need to breathe.” Declan O’Conner  
“Can I live without her? I did for years. Do I want to? Not for another second, and I won’t.” Ben Walsh. 
“She’s made me believe in reincarnation. God wouldn’t be so cruel as to only give me one life to love her.” Jack O'Brien.
I also asked a secondary character married twenty-five years to explain his feelings. He scratched his jaw, squinted and said, “it would be easier to catch fog in a jar then to explain how I feel about that woman.”   

Rita writes about military heroines, extraordinary women and the men they love.
You can find the books where ever fine ebooks are sold.
Under fire
Under Fire: The Admiral
No Holding Back
Point of No Return
Hunter’s Heart             


2 comments:

Anne Marie Becker said...

Wow, I love your characters' responses! So romantic, and just in time for Valentine's Day. ;)

My current hero and heroine are in the early, distrustful stage, thinking each is the other's enemy. I'll have to try this out on them as they get to know each other.

Rita said...

Funny but my guys are the first to know they are in a forever love.

More Popular Posts