NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Monday, November 25, 2013

Thanksgivukkah

Let's forget the fact that another year is winding down and Christmas decorations are going up even though we haven't enjoyed Thanksgiving. This year is really crazy since Thanksgiving and Hanukkah coincide. Let me tell you, if you think Christmas is coming fast, anyone who celebrates Hanukkah is really scrambling! This is certainly a first in my lifetime--celebrating Hanukkah on Thanksgiving. I'm thinking I'll have to try making some sweet potato latkes. (Sounds good right?)

This melding of Thanksgiving and Hanukkah won't occur again for more than 77,000 years. (77,798 to be exact!) That's a long time, people! The last time it happened was in 1888. (I find the succession of the 8s and 7s very interesting, but that has nothing to do with anything.)

Of course, this melding of holidays has not lessened any of my family's dysfunction. It's possible that the dysfunction has multiplied. Ugh. In fact, I've decided to put this year's first dysfunctional story into a book. Now I just need to write a holiday book and fit it in. Haha. I've never set out to write a holiday specific story, although Dangerously Close does take place just before Thanksgiving and runs through Christmas, so I guess it could be called "holiday light." I've begun to bill it as "Add a little suspense in your holidays." (Actually, the Thanksgiving after-dinner scene might be my favorite scene in my fourteen years of writing. I giggled through the whole thing and only hope other people feel the fun as they read it.)

This year I'm especially thankful for having a healthy husband and daughter. I'm EXTREMELY thankful for my new kitchen after 23 years of waiting/saving. The space has transformed our little family unit since we have space to converge/cook/eat/sit. In the last few months we've had some awesome times in our new kitchen and I figure I have 2 more years to soak it up before my daughter is off to college. Here's a pic of my dream kitchen (with my dog's tail as she's walking out). The old kitchen ended right where the fridge starts. (We more than doubled the space.)


What about you? Anything you're particularly thankful for this year?

18 comments:

Maureen A. Miller said...

I saw "Thanksgivukkah" and I spit my coffee out. Hahaha, I love it!

Happy Holidays to you and your family, Dee. And I'm free to come over and sit in your beautiful kitchen any time!

Toni Anderson said...

That's pretty amazing. I wonder if people will still care in 77,000 years?
I love that kitchen. Oh my :) Enjoy it, and your family!

jean harrington said...

Gorgeous kitchen, Dee. I'm thankful for for having my daughter, son and son-in-law visit with us starting today--for a week! And I'm also thankful, I think, for the honor of cooking my semi-famous meals for them while they're here. Enjoy, everbody.

Anne Marie Becker said...

Wow, that kitchen is beautiful!! Glad you could make it happen way before Thanksgivukkah. ;)

I, too, am thankful for my family's health (even as I cuddle with a feverish preschooler in my lap, trying to type). But, overall, a few minor viruses aren't bad. We're healthy, and we've got food, shelter, and clothing. And family is coming to visit in a few weeks, so I'm thrilled. It's going to be a great end to 2013, and I can't wait to see what 2014 brings. :)

Dee J. said...

Hi Maureen,
You know I would LOVE it if you could come sit in my kitchen! I imagine we'd have nothing less than a super fantastic visit! The welcome mat is always out, my friend! Happy Holidays to you too!


Hi Toni,
Yeah, hard to imagine the world still existing that many years down the line. And thanks, I'm loving my kitchen. It's certainly changed everyone's mood in the house. Haha. We're all much happier to have appliances that actually work!!


Hi Jean,
Thank you! I'm jealous of your semi-famous meals. I'm probably the most famous for NOT cooking in my family. LOL. Although the family does love my mashed potatoes so I'm not a total failure! Happy Holidays!!


Hi Anne Marie,
Thank you! So sorry your preschooler is sick. That sucks. But I'm with you. I'll take the little viruses over the big stuff any day! Have a great time with your family in a few weeks and Happy Holidays to you!

Lynne Marshall said...

Love your kitchen, and the sweet potato latkes sound like a great invention. Yeah, I was surprised when I heard about Chanukah arriving so early this year.
I'm thankful for my pregger daughter doing Thanksgiving dinner this year. All I have to make is potatoes and veggies. Yay!

Elise Warner said...

Love your kitchen and the sweet potato latkes sound great. When your schedule is less hectic, can you post the recipe?

Nico Rosso said...

That kitchen looks like a great spot for a household to converge. Congrats on the new space. In honor of the Thanksgivukkah mash-up I made Zoƫ a decorative corn menorah. I hope you and the family all enjoy the multiple holiday pileup.

Dee J. said...

Hi Lynne,
I'll let you know how the SPLs turn out. Congrats on your preggers daughter hosting Thanksgiving. A win-win situation. LOL. Happy turkey day to you and the family!


Hi Elise,
Thanks! We're certainly enjoying it! I'll try to remember to post the recipe the next time I blog. (If they turn out any good, that is. ) Happy Thanksgiving!


Hi Nico,
Thank you! The kitchen is a great spot to converge. A very apropos word! How sweet to make the menorah for Zoe!! Would love to see a picture! Happy Thanksgivukkah to you guys!

CathyP said...

Gorgeous kitchen! And do share the sweet potato latkes recipe :)

I'm thankful for friends and family. (And grateful for a few days off to enjoy time with them!)

Ugh - failed the spam bot again!!!

Robin Bielman said...

Hi Dee! Happy Thanksgivukkah! Your kitchen is gorgeous! Wishing you many, many, many happy moments and celebrations in it! And I love the idea of sweet potato pancakes. Yum!

Jana Richards said...

Beautiful kitchen! I've been waiting 15 years for a new kitchen so maybe I still have a few years to go based your 23 year wait.

I'm Canadian, so I already celebrated Thanksgiving in October with friends and family. I'm thankful for good health, my family, and today I'm very happy that my favorite team in the Canadian Football League won the Championship yesterday. Go Riders!

Dee J. said...

Hi Cathy,
Thanks! Honestly, I still can't believe it's really my kitchen. Every day is like this "wow" moment when I walk in. It's going to be interesting to see if I can pull off my first Thanksgiving. Glad you get a few days off to enjoy it!


Hi Robin,
Thank you! You'll have to come over one of these days. Maybe I'll have a mini-LARA get together! Although everyone at NYUS is invited too, just not sure if all those airfares are worth it. Haha.


Hi Jana,
Thank you! Trust me, I was down to only 2 burners working on my stove. No oven, no dishwasher and horrible washing machine. I had to redo. As the saying goes, "Go big or go home." We went big! Congrats on your football team winning and happy holidays (past and future)!

Sam Beck said...

Hi Dee J. It's official. I have kitchen envy! I'm thankful you're the kind of girl who will take that the right way. ;)

Thankful, too, for my friends and family...and a good, 13% ABV Cabernet when the family gets a little too intense.

J Wachowski said...

Lots to be Thankful for! Can't wait to read the family scene. I love when I make myself laugh as I'm writing. A very good sign. :)

Tanya Hanson said...

What a delightful, humorous and touching post! I love Thanksgivukkah LOL. And your new kitchen is glorious. Last year we renovated all three bathrooms between Thanksgiving and Christmas (go figure THAT timing) but I've already been thankful for that. This year: my hubby received the CURE word for the testicular cancer he battled five years ago. Praise God. Blessed Thanksgiving to you and yours, and BTW, sweet potato latkes sound like they belong in a story!

Dee J. said...

Hi Samanthe,
LOL. No worries... I'll take "kitchen envy" the right way! Your Cabernet sounds perfect! Happy Holidays to you and the family!


Hi J,
It's fun when any of our scenes invoke in us what we hope the reader experiences. Laughter, tears... I'll take it all. Hopefully, it means we're doing it right. Happy Holidays!


Hi Tanya,
Thanks! Sounds like you got the best news ever with the CURE! Congrats! A great way to start the holidays! Along with our kitchen remodel, we had the den and back bathroom done too. My house got a half make over so I'm very thankful this year, no doubt. Although I can't imagine doing all my bathrooms at once. LOL. We'll have to see how the SPLs turn out before I write about them. Haha. Happy Holidays!

Wynter said...

Drooling over your new kitchen. We're doing Thanksgivukkah, too. Just doesn't seem right to be lighting those candles so early. Actually - I've made sweet potato latkes and they are yummy!

More Popular Posts